26.9.12

R & J

"I'm Romeo. What's your name?"

"Juliet."

"A pretty name for a pretty lady."

"Oh? Are we speaking Shakespeare now?"

He laughed.

"No, of course."

He didn't let her interrupt.

"This is such a wonderful coincidence."

"No it's not. Just because you're Romeo doesn't make us star-crossed lovers."

"Of course."

"And I'm not interested in you."

"I understand."

"I don't want to end up in a tragic death. I might as well avoid it now, aye?"

"True."

They stood there, staring towards each other for a moment.

"Is it too much if I ask to be accepted as your friend instead?"

"What difference would that make?"

"Well, we won't be lovers. We won't end up dying tragically. And no one's going to stop us being friends."

"Perhaps."

"So?"

"Okay. But not more than that."

"Fine."

"Good."

And he smiled. She smiled.

No comments: